It is not recommended that a student bring expensive personal items (such as jewelry), large amounts of money, or valuable items, including any electronic items, to school. The school cannot assume responsibility for the safekeeping of personal items should they become lost.
A Lost and Found is maintained in the school. Label your child’s possessions, such as text books, jackets, lunchbox, hats, gloves, etc. with the child’s name so items can be more easily identified.
Making Appointments with Teachers
School staff will be happy to meet with you, and you can schedule an appointment to meet with the teacher. Since teachers are focused on instruction, and we don’t want instruction interrupted, we regret that staff members are unable to meet with parents who have not made an appointment. To schedule an appointment with a teacher, simply send a note to school requesting an appointment, or schedule the appointment with our Family Coach, Ms. Aviles, or our Parent Coordinator, Ms. Olivo. Tuesday afternoons from 2:20 p.m. – 2:50 p.m. have been designated for family time. However, if you cannot come to school at that time, an alternate appointment time will be arranged for you.
If an issue cannot be resolved by meeting with the classroom teacher, an appointment will be made with any of the following staff members: Service Providers, Dean, Graham Windham Family Advocate, Guidance Counselor, Assistant Principals and then the Principal. To schedule an appointment with any of these staff members, contact Ms. Aviles, the Family Coach at 212-342-6200.
Student Use of Bathrooms (Lavatory)
Students may use the student bathrooms with a pass. Students must sign in and out of their classroom before and after use of the lavatory. Students are encouraged to use the lavatories after 9:00 a.m. and before 2:00 p.m. except in an emergency. When using the lavatory, students are to go quickly and quietly to and from the lavatory. Of course, appropriate behaviors when using the lavatory are expected. Students who deface or vandalize the school lavatories will be subject to disciplinary action.
Gum chewing by students is prohibited in all areas of the school building.
Notices to the Home
From time to time there will be important information that parents be made aware of. To keep lines of communication from the school to the home open, we send home messages with students, therefore it is suggested that you check your child’s backpack daily. Please impress on your child the importance of delivering the message to you, so that you can keep informed and current. Important notices may also be shared though phone and email communication.
Breakfast in the PS/MS 123 Cafeteria
In addition to serving lunch, the school cafeteria offers a breakfast program from 7:30 a.m. – 7:55 a.m. All students are welcome to eat breakfast. It is recommended that students who wish to eat breakfast arrive at 7:30. It is expected that all students who eat breakfast clean up after themselves. Please make sure your child arrives early enough to enjoy a quiet time to eat his/her complete breakfast.
Birthday Parties in School
If you wish to celebrate your child’s birthday in the classroom, a request needs to be submitted 2 weeks in advance to the classroom teacher, to ensure that the party will not conflict with other plans. The teacher will then obtain approval from administration and contact the parent with the appropriate information to confirm plans. Only 2 guests are allowed in the classroom for the party. Videos or photos may NOT be taken of any student in the classroom. Parties may only be scheduled from 1:35-2:20 p.m. – no exceptions.
To keep PS/MS 123 well maintained and attractive for learning, we have established the following rules, which are discussed with students:
- Writing on desk tops, other furniture or walls is not allowed and is considered destruction of school property
- Classroom and hallway floors are to be kept free from litter.
- Lavatories are to be kept neat and clean. Writing on walls and other vandalism is prohibited.
- Textbooks must be maintained in good condition. Each student is responsible for books and other instructional items issued by the school. If a textbook is lost or damaged, it must be reported to the classroom teacher.
- Computer equipment and other technology must be utilized carefully.
- Students are financially liable for the loss or damage of schoolbooks and equipment (such as computers).
Face to Face Letters
If you have been informed that you need to obtain a Face to Face letter for court, housing issues, public assistance, medication, etc. the school is happy to accommodate you. The procedure for obtaining a Face to Face letter is as follows:
- Come to school to obtain a Face to Face letter request form. You will be asked to present photo ID. Complete the form and submit it to Ms. Fox, the Pupil Accounting Secretary.
- After 24 hours, you can pick up the Face to Face letter in the General Office. You need to pick up the letter in person because you are required to sign for the letter. We are not permitted to give the letter to another person or the student.